Liquid, foliar and fertigation nitrogen technology
Our nitrogen technology, branded under the name PiNT™, optimises nitrogen delivery to plants, encouraging better establishment, rooting and growth. This nitrogen technology is in liquid form and can be applied to the leaves as a foliar application or to the soil using fertigation. It is formulated with calcium, potassium or magnesium to form a ureic/cation complex. This complex decreases the rate at which ammonium is released and in turn nitrate. This sustained release serves to reduce leaching and volatilisation, while making the nitrogen available to meet the needs of the crop or turf.
Key benefits of PiNT
- Provides a balanced release of nitrogen for sustained nutrition.
- Improves quality and blade colour of turf.
- Increases marketable yield of crops.
- Reduces nitrate leaching into soil.
- Can be used on turf or crops.
- Is in liquid form for easy application.
- Foliar application so nitrogen is available at the optimum growth stage of the crop or turf.
- Can be applied to the soil using fertigation.
PiNT mode of action
Why is nitrogen important to plants?
Nitrogen is a very important macronutrient in plants, with many functions, and therefore is needed in large quantities. For example, nitrogen is vital to build chlorophyll (essential for photosynthesis), proteins and enzymes. As such, adequate nitrogen is essential to optimise plant growth and development.
While the application of inorganic nitrogen is essential in modern agricultural practice, it is estimated that 50-70% of it is lost, and not utilised by crops. Hence there is a need to improve nitrogen use efficiency, to help ensure that crop needs are met, and minimise losses to the environment. Locking up the nitrogen too strongly can reduce efficacy and product performance, however a rapid flush of nitrogen can result in a lot of environmental losses.